Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Virtual Suicide?



I was searching the internet looking for interesting Web 2.0 technologies and came across an article that grasp my attention. The article is titled "Web. 2.0 Suicide Machine Offs Your Online Identity." I immediately opened the link to see what it was all about. Web 2.0 Suicide Machine is a tool that completely deletes your social networking identity from the networks you wish to be completely removed from. The question that many people would ask is why would I have a need for this? Can’t I just delete my account myself?

The internet is a very tricky entity. Once you put your information, picture, music, or anything on the internet, you become a part of it seemingly forever. The same is true for social networking sites. For this reason, it is extremely difficult to eradicate the web of those unwanted pictures that are floating around of you, or simply remove your name from popping up for social networking sites you are no longer apart of when you goggle. Sometimes just deleting your account won’t simply do the trick. That is where Web 2.0 Suicide Machine comes in. It complete erases any existence of you from social networking sites like Myspace or Linkedln.

Web 2.0 Suicide Machine takes on the role as a cyber hit man. It kills every single trace of you from the Social Networking Server you chose. In order to use the tool, you must transfer your login information over to and the web application and it does all the work, deleting you piece by piece. This process is permanent, so you should be absolutely certain you wish to not to use the social networking service again. If so you will have to recreate your entire existence from scratch, which can be a hassle.

Me personally, I don’t believe in suicide and love social networking. I do feel that this is a very useful tool for the socially dismissive who need it. For those who regret ever creating that profile, using this service would be the sure fire way to never have to worry about it again. Except for Facebook; according to the article, they block Web 2.0 Suicide Machines IP address. So, in that case you will have to go out the old fashion way which is natural and very slowly.

1 comment:

  1. That is really interesting. I have never heard of Web 2.0 Suicide Machine. I guess there are some instances where a tool like that may come in handy. I have an account at MySpace that I have not utilized in ages, but not really sure if I would want to "kill" my page. This is something worth looking into, though. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete